英会話・英語 アミック – Phrasal verb with “run” (part 3)
- Meaning: Arrest
- Example: The guys who robbed the bank last week have finally been run in.
- Meaning: Use new machinery at less than full speed, preventing damage
- Example: I have to drive slowly for the first 1,000 miles to run the engine in.
- Meaning: Enter by running
- Example: He ran into the building.
- Meaning: Collide with
- Example: He lost control of the vehicle and ran into a tree.
- Meaning: Encounter or meet unexpectedly
- Example: I ran into your cousin the other day.
- Meaning: Cause to blend into
- Example: You can use the paintbrush this way to run the colors into each other.
- Meaning: Reach a large figure
- Example: By the end, the cost of the project ran into the millions of dollars.
- Meaning: Near the end of a supply of something; to be nearly running out
- Example: Our stocks of meat are running low.
RUN OFF meaning – Phrasal verbs with RUN
- Meaning: Flee or depart quickly
- Example: Don’t run off before the end of the event.
- Meaning: Make photocopies, or print
- Example: Please run off a couple dozen more flyers to pass out.
- Meaning: Write something quickly
- Example: Shakespeare could run off a play in just a couple of days.
- Meaning: Pour or spill off or over
- Example: They kept a barrel to store rainwater that has run off the roof.
- Meaning: Chase someone away
- Example: If anyone comes into this field, the bull will soon run them off.
- Meaning: Operate by a particular energy source
- Example: This radio runs off batteries.
Run off with
- Meaning: Leave with someone with the intention of living with them or marrying them
- Example: The chief accountant has run off with his secretary!
Run off with
- Meaning: Steal or abscond
- Example: He ran off with my wallet.
- Meaning: Continue without interruption
- Example: We can’t afford for the performance to run on for more than the specified time.
- Meaning: Using a certain time zone
- Example: I was still running on daylight savings time.
- Meaning: Continue talking for a long time
- Example: She ran on and wouldn’t let anyone get a word in edgeways.